top of page

How To Get A Replacement Passport While Travelling Internationally

Preparing for a trip overseas is always fun! Planning outfits for outings and ensuring we have enough clothes to last the trip! Consequently, it is also essential to prepare for the worst-case scenario. What would you do if you lost your passport while traveling abroad?

U.S. Passport
Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

thepointsguy ~ "If you misplace your passport while abroad, you must replace it before returning to the U.S. This will require contacting the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for help.

'We encourage travelers to keep the contact details for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate on hand when abroad,' a State Department spokesperson said via email. 'The Department can assist you if you lose your passport or it is stolen.'

As outlined online, travelers need at least six items to apply for a replacement passport, specifically:

  • A passport photo (one photo is required, and the agency recommends getting it in advance to speed up the process)

  • Identification (i.e., a driver's license, an expired passport, etc.)

  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (such as a birth certificate or a photocopy of your missing passport)

  • Travel itinerary (like airline or train tickets)

  • Police report (if applicable)

  • Completed DS-11 application (may also be completed at the time of application)

  • Completed DS-64 statement form describing the circumstances under which the passport was lost or stolen (may also be completed at the time of application)" ~ thepointsguy

This article is shared with you by, your premier source for temporary Military Lodging, Military Space-A Air Travel, and Military RV Camping  information.


bottom of page